Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Larger Home Down Payment or Invest the Money?

It's been bugging me for awhile, and I found a good thread on Young Dreamers that helped me settle this question for now.

When we first talked with our mortgage broker about a loan, he mentioned that he also invested in real estate. We started talking about Robert Kiyosaki and Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and he made the recommendation to us to not put any money down in order to save it as capital for future projects, buy a house, live in it for a year (so we wouldn't have to pay taxes on capital gains), then rent it out. Rinse & repeat.*

That wasn't what we were planning at all. We planned on putting down the largest down payment we could. One of our 2007 goals was to have $40,000 saved for this purpose.

Should we a.) put down the whole $40,000 we've planned to have saved for this goal, or b.) should we put down nothing as the mortgage broker/Robert Kiyosaki convert suggested in order to invest that money in better opportunites for higher returns?

I've decided to go with option C. We are going to put down enough to cover 20% of the home price. So on a $140,000 home we'll only be putting down $28,000. That keeps too much liquid capital from being tied up in the house (and if Hurricane Katrina has taught us anything, it's that our home should NOT be our largest asset).

It also means we won't being paying PMI (private mortgage insurance) - a huge money-waster since it's basically just a penalty fee for having less than 20% equity in your home. We would still have enough capital left over for a downpayment on a nicer home a year later, and of course we'd keep adding to it during the year. The rent money could help pay the new mortgage. **

When I tried to tackle this problem by figuring out which option would leave us richest, I found that there were just way too many variables (home appreciation, interest rates, etc.) that had to be guesstimated. The strategy is kind of middle-of-the-road, and just makes me feel comfortable.

--------------------------------------------

*Well, we still haven't bought a house, but for personal reasons. Husband and I aren't sure about staying in Big City, USA. Big City also has some major property taxes that actually make renting cheaper (as long as the difference is invested, of course, and you live in a shoebox with low-ish rent.) I did the math on my own, and double-checked myself with Kiplinger's Am I better off renting? calculator. Turns out we'd have to live in a nice starter $140,000 home for 13 years to make it worth our while to buy. We planned on moving well before then.

**Actually, we'll probably be building the second home on property we purchase. Most new $150,000 homes could be built for $100,000; the extra $50,000 is the builder's profit when he sells it!! Or so says my contact in the industry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ynebibyduk.the-best-free-web-hosting.com/qupemuq.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I started take up real income.
It gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Ruchi Agrawal said...

I would like to thank you for the great and informative entry.I have to admit that I have never heard about this information I have noticed many new facts for me.

Buy Today Sell Tomorrow Tips